Our school nurse is Mrs. Emily Heatwole. In addition to providing nursing care for students and staff, she is a resource person to school personnel, students, and their families.
From the School Nurse: Practice Healthy Habits to Avoid Illness.
- Hand Washing: Wash your hands many times during the day, taking 15-20 seconds with soap and water covering all surfaces.
- Contact: Avoid touching your mouth, nose, and eyes. Viruses can enter your body this way. Do not share food, drink, make-up or personal items.
- Sleep: Most teens need 8 1/2 – 9 hours of sleep each night. Proper sleep habits help with test scores, athletic performances, and even mood, as well as, helping to ward off infections.
- Nutrition: Take time to eat three meals a day, as well as, healthy snacks in moderation. Eating healthy gives your immune system a boost to prevent illness.
- Exercise: Exercise can increase your energy levels and improve your mood. Exercise even decreases a person’s risk of developing some diseases. Get some exercise every day.
- Immunization: Consider a flu shot this year!
- Parent Authorization for Administration of Medication - Grades 6 - 12 (PDF document) (English)
- Parent Authorization for Administration of Medication - Grades 6 - 12 (Microsoft Word document) (English)
- RCPS Parent Authorization for Administration of Medication - Grades 6 - 12 (PDF document) (Spanish)
- RCPS Parent Authorization for Administration of Medication - Grades 6 - 12 (Microsoft Word document) (Spanish)
- Virginia Department of Education - Student and School Support - Health and Medical
- VSBA Concussion Policy (from RCPS Policy Manual)
- Eating Disorders (Information from the National Eating Disorders Association)
- Drug Abuse and Bullying: Everything You Need to Know